Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A question, revisited

As promised, I'm back to ask the same question. However, this time, I'm offering you more information about each job and location. All amounts listed are biweekly. All incomes are post taxation, with both federal and state allotments having been considered. (No doubt all those systems will change next year, but not by much. I think the numbers are very close to reality for a few years to come.) All payments are estimated based on copious research. (Thank you, Lea.) Let me know what you think. (Woodberry Forest's income is estimated at $36,000.00 per annum. This is low, I know, but all the hints I've gotten have pointed toward a low-ball offer. I'll let you know more when I do.)

One thing I should mention up front is that the Maryland tax formula was impossible to find. This is because, in Maryland, each county assesses taxes at a different rate and those rates are included in your overall formula. Thus, since I don't know which county I'll be living in just yet, I've assumed an overall state tax rate of 4%, which exceeds every county so far as I can tell.

NSA
Location: Fort Meade, MD
Salary: $2428.34
House: $700.00
Food: $150.00
Utilities: $300.00
Tuition (Lea): $500.00
Excess: $778.34

Metron
Location: Reston, VA
Salary: $2254.30
House: $700.00
Food: $150.00
Utilities: $300.00
Tuition (Lea): $500.00
Excess: $554.30

University of Findlay
Location: Findlay, OH
Salary: $1536.60
House: $400.00
Food: $150.00
Utilities: $250.00
Tuition (Lea): $0.00
Excess: $736.60

Woodberry Forest School
Location: Orange, VA
Salary: $1109.18
House: $0.00
Food: $0.00
Utilities: $60.00
Tuition (Lea): $500.00
Excess: $549.18

Bear in mind that tuition is an average cost over a four-year track. If Lea went at a slower or faster pace, you'd have to adjust in accordingly. Also, food and utilities are admittedly estimate with very little supporting evidence. Feel free to pick at those numbers if you know enough to do so.

Also, Metron has a number of ways in which I could earn more money, such as profit-sharing and project leadership. But, at least initially, I thought you should see the jobs stacked up without add-ons. Thanks.

No comments: