Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A question for the masses (all 5 of them.)

Hey all. I know it's been a while since I've posted, but my reason for not doing so is both pervasive and perpetual---almost nothing I say or think is worth your time. And, for the record, I will not attempt to contradict that notion with this post. This one is entirely self-serving...well...more so than usual.

As many of you know, I am in the midst of interviews. Tomorrow I have my fourth in a rather short span of time (about 3 weeks, give or take a day.) And, as I sit here preparing for the latest round, so to speak, I am wondering about a great many things. About the paths that lay before me. No doubt we all come to forks in the road we walk along more often than we know, but I think we rarely anticipate the forks. I think the general trend is to see them only in hindsight.

I, however, am faced with a quandary. Unlike most of the other graduate students I know, I am interviewing for pretty much every class of job. There are essentially four classes in my area: Government, Industry, Academic (University), Academic (Other). All of these could be split further save possibly for the first, but that's not my point. My point is that I have had an interview with the NSA (it's ongoing, but I've got a provisional offer complete with a salary quote); Metron, INC (a think tank of sorts that solves high-end problems for both government and private institutions); and Woodberry Forest (a boarding school about 90 minutes out of DC with a large endowment and a lot of history.) And tomorrow, I have an interview with the University of Findlay, Ohio (a private university with undergraduate and graduate programs and the expectation that I will do a lot of teaching and a shade of research, but some nonetheless.)

My question to you folks is this: knowing me as each of you do, where do you believe I would best fit? A poll is to the right...I'd appreciate a response from as many of you as possible. Thanks :)

No comments: